AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi has told Ronaldo he will return from his latest injury setback as “a champion”.
The 31-year-old flew to Paris on Thursday after suffering ruptured knee ligaments in winning the penalty which earned his side a point in Wednesday’s 1-1 draw with Livorno.
Ronaldo is to meet with the same doctor who treated him when he suffered a similar injury in 2000, Gerard Saillant, after the club confirmed he would need surgery.
The Brazil striker will likely be sidelined for up to a year and there has been speculation the injury could finish off his career, but Berlusconi believes otherwise.
He told www.raisport.rai.it on Wednesday: “I reached Ronaldo by phone yesterday and I told him to believe in himself.
“He has an extraordinary physique and I believe that in some months he can return to be the champion he is.”
Ronaldo was taken to hospital after the match where the extent of the injury was confirmed.
Vice president Adriano Galliano admitted it had been upsetting for everyone associated with the club.
“As soon as it happened I came off the stands to go down to the dressing room and check on his condition,” he told the club’s official website.
“He felt a lot of pain, but now we only have to stay calm and wait without drawing any quick conclusions.
“When Ronie cried, I hugged him, the tears fell on me too, but I told him we would stay close to him.
“Milan have already shown in the past they don’t abandon players who suffer injuries, and the same will go for Ronaldo.”