Posted on February 5, 2009
David Beckham has urged Los Angeles Galaxy to make his World Cup dream come true by allowing him to join AC Milan on a permanent basis.
The England midfielder has confirmed he wants to stay at the San Siro when his loan spell ends – after surprising even himself with his form.
The 33-year-old has scored twice for Milan since his debut last month and set up two goals in Saturday’s 3-0 win over Lazio, which lifted the Rossoneri into second place in Serie A.
Beckham’s loan deal is due to expire on March 9 but he now expects both clubs to discuss an agreement that could see him stay in Italy.
Any permanent contract is likely to take him at least to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, where he hopes to play in his fourth finals tournament for England.
And Beckham, who began a five-year contract with Major League Soccer club Galaxy in 2007, admits moving back to Europe would help him realise his ambition.
“I think people have seen the way I’ve been since I’ve been back at this level again,” said Beckham, who was back in Britain on Wednesday night to play in Milan’s 2-2 friendly draw against Rangers.
“It’s nothing against MLS and the football over there, because it’s a game that will grow. But it will take quite a few years.
“I’m still confident that will happen eventually, but I want to have a chance of being involved in 2010 and I believe my best chance of doing so is to remain here.
“I have enjoyed my time here. I knew I would enjoy it but I didn’t expect to enjoy it as much as I have, and do as well as I have.”
Beckham’s performances are likely to persuade England manager Fabio Capello to name the midfielder in his squad for next week’s friendly against Spain when it is announced on Saturday.
And the former Milan coach, who initially dropped Beckham from his Real Madrid side when he announced he would be joining Galaxy, has advised Beckham to play at the top level for as long s he can.
Beckham said: “When I was first thinking about going on loan, obviously I asked his advice on where I should play and he said ‘All I can say to you is play at the highest level’.”
Beckham contradicted Milan general manager Adriano Galliani’s claim that his lawyers were in talks with LA Galaxy.
But the former Manchester United player believes both clubs will be discussing his future in the coming days.
“I’ve expressed my desire to stay here for a while but at the moment I’m still a Galaxy player,” added Beckham.
“I respect the Galaxy and everything they have done for me. They have always been great to me.
“But I hope they can come to an agreement and it’s down to the clubs now. “At this point it’s out of my hands. I’ve said what my feelings are to both clubs.
“To be given the chance again to play at this level at my age is pretty incredible and I’ve enjoyed it so much I would like to continue it.”