Posted on December 23, 2008
Newcastle striker Michael Owen has addressed speculation about his future, saying he will stay at St James’ Park until at least the end of the season.
Owen has been linked with a number of high profile Premier League clubs, prompting rumours he would leave the Magpies during the January transfer window.
The England international said: “Following speculation about my future at Newcastle United, I have decided to make it clear that I am committed to the club until at least the end of this season, and I have informed them I do not want to make a decision about my future until that time.
“I hope this will be seen as a positive step and not seen as being disloyal in any way.
“I am happy here and enjoy the challenge. It is simply a matter of seriously thinking about my future as I was 29 last week and my next career decision is a crucial one.
“My decision is not about money. I told the club some months ago that I would accept a reduction in my wages.
“I have no intention of leaving Newcastle United during the January transfer window and want to assure the fans that under Joe Kinnear’s passionate management, I am committed with the rest of the players to ensure that the club ends the season on a high.”